Combat food waste one loaf at a time
This recipe never gets old. Not only is it great for using up overripe bananas and lowering food waste, but you can make it super wholesome by using wholemeal flours and unrefined sugar.
First prize winner
This versatile, adaptable recipe has won me me first prize at the local Show in the ‘healthy cakes’ catagory.
Add your favourites
You can make it your own by adding berries, choc chips and other nuts. A personal favourite is to add 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries and 3/4 cup roasted macadamia nuts – to die for!
Hot tip: Coat your raspberries in flour before adding them and this will help stop them sinking to the bottom. How clever is that!
- 90 grams butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups overripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup crumbled walnuts
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Beat butter, olive oil, vanilla and sugar
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well
- Fold in the flours, cinnamon, nuts and mashed bananas
- Spoon mixture into loaf fan and cover with aluminium foil, leaving room for the bread to rise
- Bake for 40 minutes, remove foil, and place bread back in the oven
- Bake for a further 20 – 30 minutes or until browned and the bread springs back when lightly touched
- Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes then lift onto wire rack to cool
Copyright: Franke & Co. 2020